Choosing The Best Atlanta Medical Malpractice Attorney
Do you or your loved one feel like you are a victim of medical negligence? Do you want to file a medical malpractice lawsuit in Atlanta? Well, you have come to the right place. With the help of the best Atlanta medical malpractice attorney, Kenneth S. Nugent, P.C, you are in the right hands. Here’s what you need to know about medical malpractice and how we can help.
Kenneth S. Nugent, P.C.
1355 Peachtree St NW #1000, Atlanta, GA 30309
What Is Medical Malpractice?
Medical malpractice happens when a doctor or any other medical professionals harms a patient or fails to perform their medical duties completely. If you feel that this happened to you, then we can help with the lawsuit to make sure you receive fair compensation.
Over the years we have been in business, we have come across some of the following cases of medical malpractice.
- Failure To Diagnose – Here, we need to prove that another competent doctor would have been able to discover your illness and make a different diagnosis. As a result, it would have led to a better outcome than what you received.
- Improper Treatment – You can file a medical malpractice lawsuit if your doctor treats you in a way that no other doctor would. Also, if your doctor chooses the right treatment but offers it incompetently, you can file a lawsuit.
- Failure To Warn A Patient Of The Known Risks – Your doctor has a duty to warn you of the risks associated with a specific treatment or procedure. It is referred to as the duty of informed consent. If you had been warned of the risks before the procedure and chosen not to do it, you can file a medical malpractice claim especially if you are injured by the procedure.
To prove that medical malpractice actually happened, we must be able to show the following:
- a) A Doctor-Patient Relationship Existed – We will help you prove that you actually had a relationship with the doctor or medical professional you are suing. Basically, our attorneys need to prove that you hired the doctor and he/she agreed to be hired. The burden of proof comes in when you are using a doctor who didn’t treat you directly.
- b) Negligence On The Part Of The Doctor – If you are unhappy with the results, it doesn’t necessarily mean that the doctor is liable for any medical malpractice. As your lawyer, we will help you prove that the doctor was negligent with your treatment and diagnosis. We need to prove that the doctor caused you to harm in any way and it’s something that a competent doctor wouldn’t have done.
- c) The Negligence Of The Doctor Led To Your Injury – Many medical malpractice lawsuits involve people who were already injured or sick. That’s why there’s a dilemma on the extent of the doctor’s harm depending on their negligence. For instance, if someone dies from a long-term ailment and the doctor-in-charge was negligent, it’s hard to prove whether the death was caused by the doctor’s negligence or the long-term illness.
- d) The Injury Caused Specific Damages – Once we have proven that the doctor performed below the expected standards, you might not be able to sue if there was no harm. That’s why we need to show that you suffered injury or harm because of the doctor’s negligence. Here, we need to prove that there was physical pain, additional medical bills, mental anguish, and lost earning capacity or work because of the negligence.
Of course, any medical malpractice case is different from the other. However, you need to know the special rules and procedures that govern each case. Here’s what you need to know.
- If you want to be compensated fairly for any medical malpractice, you must file the claim immediately after the injury. You must not exceed the statute of limitations because the case will be dismissed regardless of the known facts.
- In most cases, the issue must be submitted to a medical malpractice panel review panel. These experts will hear the argument, review the evidence and listen to the expert testimony. After that, they can decide whether or not medical malpractice actually happened. Remember, this is not an actual lawsuit and no damages will be awarded but it’s the first thing to do before taking your case to court. The findings of the panel will be reviewed in court as evidence.
- You must notify the doctor of the malpractice lawsuit before making the claim. It should be a basic description of what you are planning to do before filing the lawsuit.
- You need expert testimony for a medical malpractice lawsuit. During the trial, a qualified expert is required and the expert must also testify at the medical review panel before the case goes to court. The expert should be someone with experience in the specific field at the heart of the case. There are instances where expert testimony is not required such as when medical professionals leave tools or towels inside the patient during surgery.
- In some cases, there is a limit on the total amount of damages you can receive because of the medical malpractice lawsuit. However, with our help, we can advise accordingly before we commence the legal proceedings.
What To Do If You Suspect You’re A Victim Of Medical Malpractice
Do you suspect that you or your loved one is a victim of medical malpractice? Chances are that you have undergone any or all of the following:
- Unnecessary surgeries or medical procedures
- Misreading or ignoring laboratory results
- Surgical errors
- Incorrect medications or dosages
- Failure to recognize symptoms or to order tests
If you suspect any of the following, here is what you need to do.
- Don’t Contact The Hospital Yet – You might be tempted to contact the hospital first or the administrators to demand help or recourse. Remember, medical malpractice cases have a very short statute of limitation and a notice should be sent to the doctor before the trial commences but talking to the hospital before you have decided to file the lawsuit is a bad idea.
- Don’ Talk About The Case Online – If you are injured, you might want to vent it on social media to your followers or on forums. Well, you should know that the doctor’s or hospital attorneys are also checking online for evidence to help their case. If you must talk about what you went through, go to a therapist rather than venting about it online.
- Hire A Good Atlanta Medical Malpractice Attorney – If you or your loved one has been injured because of medical negligence, it’s time to hire us as the best medical malpractice attorney in Atlanta.
Why Should You Choose Us For Any Atlanta Medical Malpractice Lawsuits?
Once you have identified that you are a good candidate for a medical malpractice lawsuit, you can contact the law offices of Kenneth S. Nugent, P.C for assistance. We are here to help with your case and ensure that you are compensated for what you have gone through. Here are some of the reasons why you should choose us for the lawsuit.
- We Have A Lot Of Experience With Medical Malpractice
We have been in the legal niche for a long time and have handled many medical malpractice cases. We have worked with numerous patients who have suffered medical negligence and helped them receive the right compensation. We have numerous attorneys at our law firm who can handle your medical malpractice law case effortlessly.
- Our Medical Malpractice Attorneys Have Medical Knowledge
The reason why we have been so successful at handling medical malpractice cases in the past is that our attorneys have medical knowledge. They have an in-depth understanding of the field and we hire people with law and medical degrees in our law firm. Therefore, when you approach us because of a medical negligence case, the attorney should be able to go through the case and identify the doctor’s mistakes without any hassles.
- Access To A Medical Witness
Yes, we are familiar with medical knowledge but we know that the judge and the jury in your case might not be familiar. That’s why we have access to the best medical experts to provide expert testimony during your trial. Whenever your case goes to trial, we will avail these witnesses who can testify expertly about the standard of care and whether or not the doctor’s negligence caused harm. Therefore, with us handling your case, you can rest assured that everything is covered.
- We Are Aggressive And Compassionate
Over the years we have been in business, we have settled numerous medical malpractice cases out of court. Also, we have handled quite a number of cases that have gone to trial. Whatever happens, you can always rest assured that we are aggressive about the case.
Our attorneys are driven and devoted to all our clients. During the initial consultation, we are ready to provide a foolproof strategy that will help us win the case. We can also provide you with references to our previous cases so you can see our track record. Our previous clients will be ready to recommend us again because we did such a good job.
- We Provide Guidance And Support
As medical malpractice attorneys, we understand that you are going through a tough time because of what happened. That’s why we are ready to go through the hurdles of the case on your behalf. We will also provide guidance and support during this trying time.
We are ready to help out in whatever way you need to make sure that you receive the right compensation. We will not be lackluster about your legal representation during the medical malpractice lawsuit.
Medical malpractice cases are quite tough to prove especially since most doctors know their jobs a little too well. However, we are not scared of what happens because, with our experienced medical malpractice attorneys, you can rest assured that your case is in the best hands.
We have a team of professionals ready to get started on the case. We can help prove medical negligence and the harm resulting from it, regardless of how long the case takes. You can always rest assured that we will walk with you throughout the case.
If you are looking for the best Atlanta medical malpractice attorney, feel free to contact our law firm today. Our expertise is unmatched and we can guarantee the best results. We have gone to battle before and are ready to do it again to guarantee the right and fair compensation for all our clients. Feel free to call us immediately. We are waiting to hear from you!